Wednesday 28 December 2011

Christmas Working

Our guests who stayed over Christmas were lovely. We had a large family of 17 spread over 3 generations. I was apprehensive at first, sure it would feel like we would be invading upon their Christmas? But no, they were lovely and I spent most of my day feeling verrrry hungover! I also helped Ollie our chef as much as i could. There was so much to prep, as Rachel's (the ski host) mum and brother were joining our 17 guests, this put the total up to 21 meals including Rachel and myself. As it was roast turkey for dinner i decided to go for the nut roast option as we had two vegetarian's.
I think we were working from 7.30am until about 11.45pm. In this time I had about 2 hours off to have a hangover nap and make family phone calls. Never have i worked so hard in my life. Even though the guests were feeling christmassy and put on Christmas music and opened presents, for us it felt like the big day had passed us by. We were going to go to the pub but no, by the end of a ridiculously long day and only just having gotten over one hangover it was a mutual decision to stay in and get a good night sleep.
For the first time ever in the company history we had Boxing Day off. I think we woke about 9am ish. Then found out we were going skiing over to Courcheval. I had just gotten out the shower when i found this out. Speed dressing was involved.  We went to Meribel first and i think on the way there we found the beginning of a snow park, the boys went over the jumps and lil ol' me went over the humps on the side! I have never skied as fast as i did that day. I had some almighty wipe outs, involving rolls skis falling off and hitting me on the head (i will wear my helmet from now on), erm, oh yes and falling over sliding down the slope head first for about 20metres (this happened on more than one occasion). I now have a lovely bump on my head, but i am very satisfied that i managed to almost keep up with the guys (and gals) i went with. They were also impressed with my whole 4 weeks worth of skiing that we ended up on a black slope, this i did not fall over on. Just took my time down it, as it was rather icy and extremely steep.

Right i had better get ready to set up for dinner service. We have new guests (another big group of 15) and its canapes tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment