Friday 16 December 2011

First ever snowboarding lesson!

I managed to scab a free snowboarding lesson yesterday. It was immense. I went with one of the other chalet girls who works in our company and one of her guests. We drove down to Les Menuires to the learner slopes. the snow was, well not pouring, but it was pretty strong and there was a bit of wind, so it was definitely goggle weather. Many lifts were closed so the main slopes down was really busy. We trudged across the bottom to the nursery slope.
Now when learning to do skiing or snowboarding for the very first time they normally put you on a small slope with not much of an incline first and teach you how to stop etc. Well my friend Roman who was the instructor put me on one of these slopes and told me what i needed to do. On my heels to go across, flat to turn and use my shoulders to turn then toe edge when i finished turning. It sounds more difficult than what it is. So he helped me down this little slope about 2 or 3 times, as in he walked behind me so he was basically guiding me.
Then all of a sudden he goes "right, on the moving carpet".....  This is like a conveyor belt up the nursery slope. This slope is not really long, or steep. But when you have not been told how to stop or slip down the mountain its exceedingly daunting. That whole afternoon i was spent attempting to go down this slope, mostly having to wait for Roman to guide me down, and then he made me go down on my own and i fell over towards the bottom. A total face plant. I put my hands out to catch myself (a complete no no for snowboarders). This resulted in my hands bashing into my upper chest and i lay there in agony. I honestly thought i had broken both of my collar bones. Thankfully my friend Sarah is a nurse and she came running up the slope and Roman came running down the slope. Rather dramatic really. I was crying yes, but thankfully my goggles hid this embarrassing fact! After i tried sitting up Roman said i had to unzip my top to check my inter something, which sounded very much like another word beginning with inter! This made me laugh and i said that nothing was broken but he checked my upper chest anyway. I had only winded myself and gotten a bit of whiplash. roman was worried that i was upset but i manged at least another two times down the slope although i was taking it slower.
By the end of the lesson i was told that i was a natural! I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. I think he was trying to make me feel good. I was chucked in at the deep that's all.

Well I hope you enjoyed that! I sure enjoyed the snowboarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment