Saturday 11 May 2013

I'm Back!!!!

I do apologise for my absence! It has been over a year and I have partaken in another ski season in that time. Same place, but different chalet and job. I decided to give cheffing a go. NOT as easy as I had thought it would be but I tackled through it. But a word of warning, I advise in choosing a different resort and not just a different job. It becomes so nostalgic and comparisons will always be made.

Anyway I have decided to resume this blog, as I have continued my French adventures! Through some rather cheeky networking on a popular social network site I managed to find out about a marketing internship with a hostel in Nice, Provence-Alps-Cotes-d'Azur. So after a brief stop in Cornwall to drop off my winter gear and buy some lovely new summer clothes (as let's face it the UK doesn't really do summer) I was jetting off into the sunrise to start a new job in France. 





I arrived in a flurry, expecting instant glamour everywhere I looked. It is definitely a naive view that I had about the city. It was just like any other European city I had visited. The journey from the airport meant a bus ride and a transfer onto a tram. Now I don't like admitting it but I am a country bumpkin, I have never seen a modern tram in my life! A trip to San Francisco introduced me to the old school trams that can be lethal. However, these trams look more like trains and are very smooth and I have already decided that the UK should start making them widespread. My dreams of glamour dissolved after my first full day in the city. It was a day for me to explore and get my bearing. Strolling at a good pace down the Promenade des Anglais minding my own business and an small middle aged man walking in the opposite direction said "Hello" and I gave a nervous smile but just carried on walking, picking up the pace as any smart single female in a foreign city would do. He proceeded to turn around and catch up with me and try and make conversation. Now I was always taught at school not to talk to strangers but it just seems so rude sometimes! In this case I should have just ignored him. And I was being obviously evasive to his attentions. My plan had been head to the Chateau on the hill, however, I did not want this lil Italian man to follow me the whole way. So I had to take a detour to the sister hostel in the town to get rid of him. Along the way he was constantly trying to holding my hand, stroke my arm, etc. Then it turned into asking me to have a coffee or a drink with him. It was a horrific invasion of my personal space! Fortunately I arrived safely at the hostel with no harm and the lil man left. Afterwards, I was speaking to the girls in the hostel and they said this was normal behaviour, it even happens if you're on the beach alone, and even if you're in a group of girls. Now, I was in such a blur at home I never really thought about these kind of things that happen in big tourist cities, especially to single females, and moreover in broad daylight! 

Now that was just a brief introduction to my first day in Nice, do not be put off by my one negative experience. I will update with a new entry soon with good things :) 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment